Saturday, May 7, 2011

A Heart Like Jesus

Many of you have probably heard of the recent devastation that has taken place in Alabama. I haven't had a chance to see the areas of major destruction, but from the few pictures and areas I have seen, it looks like a third world country out there. It seems so unreal to me still and I am having trouble grasping the reality of it all since I still have not seen much of Tuscaloosa. I was born there, and my dad lives there, about 5 minutes away from where much of the destruction is. I praise the Lord that he and my family is safe though! They were huddled together in the basement and could hear it go over their house, but they are safe. It's so crazy how quickly something can be destroyed. It makes you realize the fragility of life and how short it is.

It just breaks my heart hearing all of the stories about children who have died and entire families being wiped out. Entire communities have been leveled and just absolutely taken off the map. They have no homes, no cars, and many of them have no where to go.

But it has also been amazing to see churches and communities rise up without hesitation and rush to the aid of those who are in such desperate need. I was privileged to go up to Tuscaloosa this last week and volunteer in a shelter by helping to prepare meals. There were so many people from the who had been showing up for days to help and staying for anywhere from 12 to 17 hours. They were truly sacrificing themselves to serve the hopeless and the broken.
As amazing as this is and as encouraging as it is to see so many help, it also makes me wonder how many of them will still be around a month from now. People sometimes are so willing to help in the wake of a disaster, but what about a month later? Two months? That seems about the time that people start to forget. They think they have done their civil or Christian duty and they can just wash their hands of the whole situation. Places like Eclectic (where I was able to help today), while some areas are completely devastated, there will be recovery soon. There is a lot of cleanup to be done and houses to repair, but before too long, I think that can be accomplished. But in Tuscaloosa, so much of the city has been destroyed that it will take months or years even to get these people back on their feet. Please don't forget. I read a quote recently pertaining to this...
We are in this for the long haul. As it was said with the earthquake in Haiti, don't change the channel. Don't move on. Don't forget about this.
The number of volunteers will soon be dying down, or so it is expected. That is when the workers will truly be needed. Pray about what you can do.

So, all of this is to say, don't stop. Don't stop praying. Don't stop donating. Don't stop volunteering if you are able. Jesus Himself did not come to this earth to be served but to serve. Who are we to think that we can escape that lifestyle? Our lives are not about us, but about what we can do to live the Gospel and shine the light of Jesus. Our lives are not just about what we can do to get by here, and how much money we can make, and how comfortably we can live. Our lives are only preparation for eternity. And we prepare for eternity by learning to have a heart like Jesus. A servant heart. A loving and compassionate heart.

2 comments:

  1. Amen sweet girl! Are you still in Alabama? I did a post similiar to this a couple of weeks ago.... it is simply heart breaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I read yours too. I got to see it all for the first time the other day, and there are simply no words to describe it. But yep, I'm in Bama :)

    ReplyDelete